So now that it is the day before I officially enter the profit-driven world of business and start my job as a consultant, I wanted to write a post about my thoughts on things. For two weeks in Mae Sai, I taught English, played with the kids, and I translated things for other staff and volunteers. On the surface, I don’t think I have accomplished much at all – in fact I probably made very little difference doing those things. However, I still hope this trip made a lasting impact and difference – because it taught me so much and changed my way of thinking. I have learned so much about the way of life of people in the area. It surprised me how much excess consumerism and greed had seeped into such seemingly serene and peaceful place, enabling industries like human trafficking to prosper. But what I found even more astonishing is how with diligence, hope and love from others, people who have nothing, not even citizenship to any country, can have an opportunity to obtain excellent education at a college in the U.S., and became a leader that would bring about changes for their communities. I learned that we can do something and make a difference.
The main goal for me entering the business world is to develop myself and my skills. I believe that this might be what I can get really good at, and I want to do what I do best. There will be times that I get carried away with the luxuries and the money that comes with it. But now that I don’t really have it yet, I want to make a promise to myself – I do not want to lose all of my youthful optimism and idealistic view down the line. I’m sure I’ll lose some, but I don’t want to lose all of it. I don’t believe I alone can make an impact on a large scale, but I believe that I can make a significant impact for some people.
I don’t believe that it is the best strategy for me to do non-profit work right now. There is a lot that I can learn from the business world, like how to think, plan and execute things effectively and efficiently. Besides, I have too much debt to pay back to my parents for the 11 years of excellent and expensive education. I have yet to exercise the benefit of that education to its potential. By allowing me to have this sort of qualifications, my parents had given me an opportunity for my career to be accelerated, which makes my learning curve currently steep. Until that learning curve begins to level off, I will continue to be in the business world and hopefully make some helpful connections along the way. But the ultimate goal is to one day, apply all the skills and resources that I have been blessed with to bless others who aren’t as fortunate as I am.
The reason I want to share this is that I know it will be hard to not get carried away with the luxuries that will come with being in this business. I want my loved ones to keep me accountable. Now that I have put all my thoughts into writing and shared it with my family and friends, I have left myself no choice but to stick with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment