Thursday, July 22, 2010

Humility



So, I wanted to learn about humility, and I got my wish. Today, I worked like a farmer. I planted rice (ดำนา). A couple of other teachers and volunteers and I brought the children to the field so that they can learn about the most common occupation in Thailand - rice farming. We all planted 3 fields and it was actually hard work! Your back gets really sore because you have to bend down all the time. And everywhere is mud in the form of wet clay so that it is extremely slippery. There were also leaches that can suck your blood. The whole time I was there I was thinking "why doesn't rice cost more?"

I had a chance to talk to the teacher who owns the land. He said that he had worked in Bangkok, and then came back because he missed home. He said he likes being with nature, hated the rush and the competition in the city. He said that a place like that is heaven for the rich, and hell for the poor. Here in Mae Sai, he grows his food, and have no rent to pay. Everyone is nice and helpful. He's not looking to make a lot of money from farming rice, which is unprofitable at times, and always doesn't pay very much. But as long as he has enough, he's okay and content.

I find people here to be surprisingly kind. Today, as I walked out of my hotel room, it was raining lightly. I didn't mind it that much, and I was going to walk to the center. But as soon as I reached the entrance of the hotel, a lady who is a total stranger passed by in a pick-up truck with a baby inside and offered me a ride. I agreed. Later on today, another teacher helped me move into my apartment and took me shopping today and the process took around 2 hours. Near the end of it, she still said, "no hurry, just take your time to eat". Here, people seem to look after one another. No one is rushing. No one is competing.

I guess kindness is humility.

3 comments:

  1. น่าตื่นเต้น! สุด ๆ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes...and i think accepting kindness too!
    thanks for your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amy, keep posting interesting story. I will keep reading. You actually make me feel bad cos all of my time while I was in Thailand, I've never ever thought about doing community service like this.
    Oh

    ReplyDelete